Did you know that every 2nd week of April, we celebrate dentist hygienists across the United States? When the time came to celebrate them, we did just that and it was a blast! We celebrated each and every one of our hygienists this month with so much joy, laughter and appreciation for all that they do for our patients, team, doctors, dental practice and local community.
It’s no wonder why a whole week is dedicated to these incredible individuals. They are integral to the overall health and well-being of our patients. The American Dental Hygienists’ Association define dental hygienists as “licensed oral health professionals who focus on preventing and treating oral diseases-both to protect teeth and gums, and also to protect patients' total health.”
As their fellow colleagues who work side-by-side with these very talented, highly skilled, competent, and caring dental hygienists, we can tell you that they do more than simply clean your teeth. Let us elaborate more on this definition and give you an in-depth look into what they truly do for our patients and you will be absolutely amazed!
Our hygienists are highly trained to provide the following services with the utmost gentle care:
- Routine cleanings (prophylaxis)
- Deep cleanings (gum treatment)
- Laser therapy services, including laser bacterial reduction, laser assisted periodontal therapy, laser whitening, laser cold sensitivity services and laser cold sore relief services
- Interpretation of x-rays to assist in the detection of tooth decay, permanent bone loss, infection, abscess, tartar build-up and so much more
- Application of fluoride and desensitizing medicaments
- Administration of local anesthetic
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) services
- Oral cancer screenings
- TMJ evaluations
- Oral hygiene education
- Smoking cessation counseling services
- Nutrition counseling services
- Clenching and grinding counseling services
- Whole-body health counseling services (e.g., relationship between gum disease and diabetes and heart disease)
- And, so much more!
In addition to the providing all of the above services with the utmost gentle care, they are relentless and passionate advocates for YOUR whole-body health and understand the intimate and critical relationship between your oral health and whole-body health. Our hygienists can provide you with life-changing advice and services to reduce and eliminate the detrimental effects of oral bacteria and chronic inflammation throughout your body. Achieving a healthy whole-body starts with your mouth, and our hygienists know that!
Finally, our hygienists treat you with individualized customized care. Our hygienists want you to enjoy your life, eat your meals comfortably, play golf or pickleball and not worry about a broken tooth or abscess, reduce your dependence on your medications and truly have you look and feel your best. Our hygienists are here to be your partner in YOUR success. For all of these reasons, it’s no wonder we appreciate them so much! To our wonderful hygienists, THANK YOU!
-Dr. Jeannie Ju, Dr. Sung Ju and the Creative Smiles Dentistry Team